Saturday 19 September 2015

5 THINGS I miss about Portugal (but there are many more)

1. THE PEOPLE... laid back, charming, friendly, witty, kind. Obviously you meet the odd grumpy bod but, by and large, they're just great.... Meet Bruno (in the specs)  his parents run the Galleon Bar
in Olhos. He  claims to  rarely sleep in the summer months when the bar stays open until the last customer leaves. He is at university but works at his parents' bar whenever he can.
He   says: "I work til maybe 4 in the morning, then I go to a party in Vilamoura, then have a nap in my car, then start work again. I go on the beach and maybe later have a swim. Then it's back to work til 4 in the morning again."

He was a stranger to me until the mighty Burton Albion FC had an important cup game and I asked him to find the match on his sports TV. Which he did, despite being dead on his feet through tiredness, and  stumbling about like a sleeping  man while setting up the café for the day. It is always good to see him and his family.

2. For all these reasons, and more, I miss the GALLEON BAR in Olhos de Agua  because it's in a great little spot, right by the sea. Nice cappuccinos. ....



3.  THE CLIMATE.... no explanation needed....




 4. PADDLING in the sea....

5. The PALM TREES.... and landscape....


 
 



No comments:

Post a Comment