Thursday 8 October 2015

5 MORE things I miss about Portugal

 
1. The air.... that may sound odd but in the UK it's often drizzly, misty or foggy. Polluted grey skies are the order of the day and this year I have been dogged by allergies from May to September. Sea breezes, less traffic and clear skies help me breathe more easily when I am in Portugal. So I feel a million times better. Bliss.

2. Oranges! It's orange heaven in Portugal. They're growing everywhere and locals set up roadside stalls selling huge bags of them for a euro or two. Picking up a bag and making yourself some freshly squeezed orange juice every day feels like the height of luxury. Vitamin C, I love you! And how about squeezing your early morning orange juice al fresco? It's got to be good for you.

 
3. Rita the pancake lady - Rita used to be the pancake lady at the Hotel Falesia, which has someone cooking and serving freshly made pancakes from 6-9pm every evening as part of the normal dinner service. I find that in itself pretty amazing. Anyway, she has left the hotel now but was yet another of those Portuguese people who warmed your soul thanks to her non-stop smile and cheery demeanour. She was also game to let you have a go at making your own pancake. My son, Luca, had a go but, even though he's a magician with incredible sleight of hand, he was battered by the skill of the task. Rita made it look so easy!
 




 
4. The slower pace of life - the frenetic, racing about we witness daily in the UK is replaced by a much more laid back approach to life. I have read that some ex-pats in Portugal find this annoying after a while. I find it hard to understand why. After 30 years of working flat out in the UK, I am definitely ready for some laid-back living. Oh for a day when the biggest thing I have to worry about is where to buy my oranges for the aforementioned breakfast juice.
 
5. Seeing the sea every day - This is such a novelty for me. Considering I live on an island, I am more than two hours from the nearest beach so hardly ever go to the British coast. In fact I officially live in the furthest spot from the sea in the entire UK. And last  time I went to an English seaside resort it was a case of dodging the donkey poo. The Brits love treating their kids to a  beach donkey ride, but the resultant poop all over the sand is a tad off-putting. That and the usual gale force wind and super-sized seagulls swooping down for your chips. Honest! I was in Brighton earlier this summer and a seagull the size of a small dog dive-bombed a woman and nicked her chips. Give me a Portuguese sea view any day of the week!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment